St. Barbara Church - Dubice
The Protestant church of the St. Barbara in Dubice from 1579 was erected on a high plateau at 340 meters above the sea level. The place has a wonderful view of the Elbe valley and of the Porta Bohemica (Gate of Bohemia).
Church of the Lady's Nativity
The Church of the Lady's Nativity is the dominant construction on the Wenceslave Square in the Trmice community. The current outer form of the church is the result of a Neo-Gothic reconstruction in 1898. The interior of the church bears many traces of its Gothic and Baroque past. A Baroque parish house was built next to the church. Bishop Karel Otcenasek, an important Czech Roman Catholic priest, spent many years in the parish of Trmice.
After a number of years of being neglected, damaged, stolen but also sought after or looked after, this is how the so-called conciliation crosses might be characterised. Anyway, what do they look like? They are not tall, are made of stone, their front face sometimes depicts a weapon (i.e. a dagger, sword, cross-bow, spear and others), in rare cases a date. We know very little or nearly nothing about their meaning, details are known only about some of them. They usually commemorate acts of violence, usually a death. Their name – conciliation – is explained in such a way that the cross was made and erected based on a conciliation agreement. The agreement, written by a judge, usually a magistrate, was made between the person who committed the acts of violence and the surviving relative, to conciliate the crime of violence. The agreement also specified material compensation, and a number of soul masses. The offender was also ordered to make and erect a conciliation cross on the site of the violent act. The crosses originated between the 15th and 17th century and mostly appear in the borderland, settled by German-speaking inhabitants. There are 17 conciliation crosses in the Ústí nad Labem region. Two of them are near the church in Arnultovice, one in Nádražní Street in Chabařovice, three at the St. Havel Church in Chlumec, a group of four crosses was bricked into the abutment wall before the monument to the dead in the village of Knínice, one stands along the road from Libouchec to Tisá, one is erected on the common in Střížovice, one originally from the municipality of Žďár was transferred to the Ústí nad Labem Museum and the last place is the surroundings of the Church of Saint Mary Magdalene in Zubnice, where four crosses were relocated from Hrbovice and Chabařovice.
The first reference of this village, originally called Komonín, dates back to 1352 as the “Arnoldi villa”. In the 15th century it was in the possession of the Family of Vartenberk in Blansko. The last owners of the manor were the Kolowrats. The Church of All Saints, originally a late Gothic structure in the centre of the municipality, was built instead of a church mentioned in 1352. In the southern wall of the church there is the marked gravestone of Alžběta Kelblová of Geising from 1584. The church underwent baroque reconstruction in 1798, in which it was extended.
The village was firstly mentioned between 1158-1164, in connection with the foundation of the Benedictine monastery in Teplice. In 1610, part of the village was bought by Bedřich of Bílá, who was executed in 1621 on the Old Town square in Prague. The Church of St. Wenceslas on the hill in the left part of the municipality was originally a Gothic structure, referred to in 1352. One of the supports displays an assignation of the date of the church baroque reconstruction in 1718. The Statue of the Virgin Mary from 1780 used to stand at the corner of K Mlýniště and U Studánky Streets in Krásné Březno. It was relocated in the church complex in 1981. The Pieta – a baroque sculpture from the mid-18th century, originally standing at the crossroads in front of the church, was relocated in the church once it has been restored, and a copy was erected instead of the original.
The village was founded under German law between 1200 and 1250, at the foot of Výrovna hill by the road stretching through the forest. A powerful spring under the church was mentioned in 1169 as the so-called Red Well. The first written record dates to 1364, when the village belonged to Bernard of Čermná. The Church of St. Nicolas is a baroque structure from the 18th century, built on the site of an older church from 1352. The baroque one-storey presbytery from the mid-18th century is located opposite the church. The statue of St. John of Nepomuk stands by the baroque bridge across the Červený brook. The magistrate’s house No. 1 witnessed a heritage village tribunal .
A Neolithic settlement. The village was mentioned in the charter of the Litoměřice canonry in 1057. In 1633, the Prague–Dresden postal route ran across the village. It is called the “Bohemian Merano” thanks to its unique warm weather and early springs. Its original circular ground plan changed as a result of the building of the Prague-Dresden railway line between 1847-1850, when the oldest part of the village disappeared. The railway station building is a state-listed cultural monument . The middle of the village seats the Chapel of Saint Anne, a baroque building from 1780. In front of the chapel we can find a belfry called “Vidlák”. The statue of Ecce homo – a sculpture of Jesus Christ the Sufferer – dates back to 1820.
The small town of Chabařovice in a valley between Ore mountains and Central Bohemian highlands saw its own revival. The mining of lignite was stopped in 1991 at a safe distance from Chabařovice and the liquidation of the community was prevented. Visitor can admire paintings by Petr Brandl in the Church of the Lady’s Nativity from 1699-1701 or may come to the square to see the columns of the Holy Virgin. The historic building of the town hall dating back to the beginning of the 17th century has a Late Renaissance character. The building now serves as the town museum hall in which many community events take place.The private coffee-mill museum can be visited in Chabařovice. On Jánský hill near the baroque Chapel of St. John the Baptist you can find a monument commemorating the Hussite battle of “Na běhání”, which took place nearby in 1426.
The community of Chlumec belongs to the oldest historical places of the Usti region. A hillfort stood in the place in early Middle Ages to protect the road from Bohemia to Saxony. Chlumec saw two important battles—in 1126 and 1813. The former was a source of inspiration to legend whereas the latter left a number of traces in the environs of Chlumec (see Napoleonic Battle Field). In memory of the battle of Chlumec a happening takes place regularly since 1992 on the hill Horka in which military amateurs meet members of various historical military clubs from home and from abroad. The last Saturday August is regularly devoted to period military demonstrations. Since older times Chlumec had been the centre of one of the most important dominions in Usti region. The past glory is expressed in the Baroque triple nave Trinity Chapel on the Horka hill as well as the St. Gallen Church. The church was constructed in the 19th century in the place of an older one destroyed during the Napoleonic wars but still the ancient history of Chlumec shows itself in the form of Renaissance and Baroque gravestones mounted in the church walls.
A village from the period of German colonization in the 13th century that was founded by clearing and burning a part of the deep border forest. As early as in the 14th century, an important route led to Saxony through it. Over the years, it belonged to a number of owners, beginning with Jan Teller in 1427 up to František Ignác Vratislav of Mitrovice, who had a baroque chateau built here in 1708. Its last owner was the Family of Westphalen. The Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary was built between 1790 and 1795 instead of the old church from 1623, which was burned down by the Swedish. At the crossroads outside the church we can see the statue of Saint John of Nepomuk dating back to 1720, which in the opinion of professionals is the most beautiful baroque sculpture in the Ústí n. L. region. The population of Krásný Les amounted to 1 278 people living in 334 abodes in 1945. It had a school, cinema, library, surgery, savings bank, 12 inns, 4 dance halls, a textile shop, 3 butcher’s shops, 3 baker’s shops, a playground …
This forest village of terraced houses along a road was founded at the beginning of the 13th century. In 1352, it was attached to the estate of the Vartenberks in Blansko, and in 1759 to Březnice, being a part of the Březnice-Všebořice estate. Most houses were built after the 30 Year’s War in years 1780-90. The Church of St. Martin standing in the middle of the village was originally a Gothic structure mentioned in 1352, rebuilt in the Baroque style in 1692.
The municipality of Libouchec is situated in the basin of the Jílovský Brook, which separates the Bohemian Uplands from the Elbe Sandstone Rocks. As early as in the 15th century, an aqueduct from Libouchec to the city of Ústí nad Labem was built. From the 14th century, Libouchec belonged to the Family of Vartenberk of Děčín, then to the Family of Trčka of Lípa, later to the Families of Salhausen and Býnovský. In 1628, the Thuns of Děčín took possession of Libouchec. They stayed in the originally Renaissance chateau a few times, however, once it had been destroyed by Swedish troops during the 30 Year’s War, they relocated their seat to nearby Jílové. Libouchec remained abandoned for many years after its destruction in the war. The village is dominated by the Gothic church of Saint Three Magi, firstly referred to in 1352. Its numerous reconstructions reflect a variety of the styles of architecture beginning with the Renaissance to New Gothic. The village displays a number of houses with elements of original folk architecture, as well as the Baroque sculpture of the Calvary from 1728.
This village, stretching for 6 km along a road, was founded by German colonists in the 13th century. The Petrovice road was used by Bohemian kings making their way to the Königstein fortress, which belonged to the Bohemian lands until the reign of Jiří of Poděbrady. From 1625, the road was also used as the oldest regular Prague-Dresden postal route. This road witnessed the arrival of the Swedish army in 1631, the Saxon army during the 7 Year’s War, and General Kleist in 1813, who used it to close the encirclement around General Vandamm’s army. House No. 7 was allegedly a place where French emperor Napoleon stayed overnight on 17. 9. 1813. The school, dating back to 1577, is the oldest in the Ústí nad Labem region. The Church of St. Nicolas, mentioned as early as in 1352, was burnt down by the Swedish in 1639. Its present Baroque appearance is from 1793. Next to the church, we can find the statue of Saint John of Nepomuk from 1709. Today, Petrovice is a famous border crossing. On the German side on the right you can see a memorial with the Olympic circles to commemorate the Olympic flame transfer in 1936 by Czech sportsmen to German sportsmen on their way to Berlin.
The beginning of the Povrly community dates back to the 12th century. The community was connected with the Johanite Order active in northwestern Bohemia. In the Middle Ages silver was mined in the nearby Roztoky which is testified by several deserted mine galleries. From the 17th century to the 19th century Povrly was a farming community as evidenced by typical timbered houses and the Chapel of John’s Nativity in Roztoky. Today’s appearance of the Povrly chapel dates back to 1936. In 1898 a copper processing factory was opened here to start a history of the local metallurgical industry. The Luzecky Brook near the dam has a swimming pool and a popular holiday resort nearby.
The village referred to in 1188, was held by the Order of St. John after the brothers Měšek and Hroznata of Peruc donated it to them. Between 1383 and 1848, Proboštov belonged to the Střekov estate. Non-Catholics stayed here the longest time in the period after the Battle of Bílá Mountain. In 1670, the parish priest Haiasch established here a church school. The originally Gothic Church of the Birth of Saint John the Baptist of 1352, was rebuilt in the Baroque style in 1670. The Presbytery No. 1 below the church has a Baroque appearance dating back to about 1700. By the small bridge in the lower part of the municipality we can find a standing statue of St. John of Nepomuk dating back to 1862. Two milestones remain preserved in the village, dating back to 1864.
A circular ground plan village with scattered houses was referred to in 1352 and 1361. In 1420, Emperor Sigismund used it as pledge to Petr Skála of Skalka. The recorded subsequent owners are Jakoubek of Vřesovice, Jindřich and Rudolf of Býnov, Radoslav Vchynský. From 1666 to 1918, the estate belonged to the family of Nostic of Termice. In 1851, there were 9 coal mines here. A part of the municipality was destroyed to give way to coal mining in modern times. In 1925, the village witnessed a landslide in the area of the Modlanský Brook, which partially flooded the Marie Antonie mine. On the northern border we can find St. Wenceslas´Church, a late Gothic structure which was built in 1480 on the site of an older church referred to in 1352-53. In 1966, during a church survey, a re-painting of the late Gothic altar from 1470 was discovered. This part of the altar was used as a door behind the main altar. The work was predicated to the Master of St. George’s altar. It also depicts the burning of Master John Hus. This is a unique piece of art in central Europe. When transported to exhibitions abroad, historians insure it for 15 million crowns. This remarkable sight is displayed these days in the Museum of the City of Ústí nad Labem.
The village stretching along a road running through the village, originated as a settlement of forest workers and miners. From 1371, iron, copper, lead and silver ores were mined here and smelted near Chlumec. By the end of the 18th century, mining activities had stopped, however, it left a lot of traces in the countryside, e.g. old galleries. In the past, Telnice and Varvažov were located on an important road leading from Bohemia through the Nakléřov Pass to Saxony. In 1817, Michael Ulbricht, the Ústí nad Labem postmaster, had a post horse changing station with an inn built in Varvažov at the crossroads (the current „Old Post Office“).
A mountain municipality which originated beneath the sandstone table walls by the Tisá Brook springs. The first reference thereto dates back to 1541. For most of the time it was in the possession of the Family of Býnov and the Family of Thun of Děčín. The end of the 18th century witnessed the beginnings of tin button manufacturing. By the early 19th century, there were as many as 10 manufactures. Production was extended to also make grips and braces, badges and zippers after WWI. Despite the stagnating character of production these days, Prague castle’s guards still have buttons from Tisá.
A municipality from the 10th – 11th century, mentioned in 1264. As early as in the Middle Ages, the River Bílina separated Trmice into two different estates and forts. Both estates have had a variety of owners. In 1662, both estates were built by Hans Hartwig Nostic, who united them as one. In 1675, Trmice became a liege town. After 1938, the town was annexed to Ústí nad Labem by the German administration. On 1. 1. 1994, the municipality achieved independence upon a referendum, and in 1996, it achieved the status of a town again. The dominant overlooking Václavské Square in the town of Trmice is the church of the Lady's Nativity. The church was originally a Baroque structure built in the 18th century, rebuilt in the present appearance in 1898. Not far from the church we can find a Baroque presbytery from 1680 – 1723, where a renowned representative of the Roman-Catholic Church, bishop Karel Otčenášek, lived. On the square outside the church, there is a late Baroque statue of St. Joseph from the second half of the 18th century. The evangelical, new Gothic church of Lord Jesus at Žižkova Street was dedicated in 1907.
A village with irregularly located houses was referred to in 1352, when there used to stand a parish church here. The archaeological survey discovered graves holding cremated remains and the remnants of the La Tene culture. Approximately on the site of House No. 3, there used to stand a free court with a customs office on the River Elbe. On the gradual ridge to the south of the municipality, a plateau was discovered on Hradiště Hill which was used to send fire messages. The Church of St. Wenceslas on a bend by the road stands in the middle of the former cemetery. This is a Gothic-Renaissance structure from 1573-74, built on the site of an older church referred to in 1352. The church boasts unique interior furnishings. The Renaissance sandstone altar from 1580, the pulpit from 1574, and particularly the epitaph of the Family of Bocek from 1615 as well as epitaphs of the Family of Salhausen. The new Gothic tomb of the Family of Chotek, the last owners of the chateau in Velké Březno, links to the church cemetery and was built in 1869. The Column of 14 Holy Helpers in the park behind the church was relocated here from the area of Čachovice, which was to be flooded to give way to the Nechranice dam built in the Chomutov region.
Zubrnice, a small village, is situated near Velké Březno at the foothills of the Buková Hill. The village originated as early as in the 9th to10th centuries in the basin of the Luční Brook. It used to belong to the fort in Leština, built to protect the estate of the Litoměřice provost’s seat. The village was in the possession of the bishop’s estate until 1848. Between 1820-1830, parish priest Vincenc Zahradník, a representative of the Bohemian National Revival, lived and worked here. His plaque was unveiled in 1990 on the southern part of the church. The Church of Saint Mary Magdalene on the hill overlooking the commons was referred to in 1352. It was rebuilt in the Baroque style between 1723-1732 and shows elements of the building works of Octavio Broggio. In 1988, the Museum of Folk Architecture was opened in the village, where remarkable and memorable objects of folk architecture are transferred from endangered places of the Bohemian Uplands and the foothills of the Ore Mountains.
The village was settled as early as before 1200. As a village having a parish church, it is referred to in 1352. It belonged to the Family of Lungwitz and Dobětice from 1375 to 1568, later to the estate of Březnice together with the municipalities of Sovolusky and Mlýniště. As long as until 1858, Lipová and Mojžíř also belonged to the village. The Church of St. Peter and Paul was built in 1470 on the site of an older church from 1352, from which the late Gothic presbytery was preserved. The presbytery next to the church dates back to 1709.