The fairy-tale City
The first fairy tale was the Elbe Queen
The Elbe Queen consists of tales of pixies, knights and robbers from the Elbe River, Ústí nad Labem and its environs. The tales set to the motifs of local German legends have been told in a book of the same name by Daniela Nechanická and Zdeněk Havránek. Inspired by the book, the Statutory City of Ústí nad Labem in cooperation with the Museum of the City of Ústí Labem has prepared a range of fairy-tale experiences based on the Elbe Queen for young and old alike:
- Animated fairy tales
- Fairy-tale cycle trails
- An audio book
- Elbe Queen gifts
- More at www.usti-nad-labem.cz/labskakralovna
The Elbe Queen is followed by the Long-Legged Pixies
Nothing is eternal in a fairy-tale city and everything is changing. The Elbe Queen has bid the children farewell and swum off down the river. However, a special little fish has also reached the city by river. This fish always brings health, prosperity and wealth to its environs. The fish was bred under Vyšehrad by the Long-Legged Pixies, whose long legs enabled them to easily ford the Vltava River. How did the fish get all the way to Ústí? After the fish had swum away from the Prague pixies, they set off looking for it. Unfortunately, one of them was a mean and greedy pixie who wanted to steal the fish. The fish, however, managed to escape from the pixie and swam downstream all the way to Ústí. Will the mean pixie catch it or will the fish manage to swim all the way to Germany?
The Fairy Tale of the Long-Legged Pixies was officially released at the end of 2018.
Where can you come across fairy tales in the city?
- The Information Centre of the City of Ústí nad Labem sells a range of souvenirs ranging from books to USB memory sticks. At the same time, it also provides information on Geocaching, including passports, in which you can collect stamps.
- At occasional city events which are designed for the public, when the pixies always bring the children a gift or reward.
- The fairy tale forest in Vaňov admittedly conceals a different series of fairy tales, but you will come across a number of fairy-tale characters carved from wood, with which your children can have their photo taken.
- In nature when you head off on a Geocaching route. Small rewards await you at various sites.
Other attractions for children:
- The Zoological Gardens (or the flier)
- The Ústí Underground (a fun park)
- Větruše with its fun park and labyrinths
- Jump Ústí
- Lake Milada (or the flier)
- The Model Railway Museum at the chateau in Trmice