Valley of Mr. Zippich
Valley of Mr. Zippich is the name given to the area around Velké Březno near Ústí nad Labem, where they have brewed Březňák beer for more than 250 years. A portrait of Mr. Zippich, stationmaster of the Velké Březno train station from the beginning of the 19th century, has adorned the local Březňák beer for more than 100 years now. Victor Cibich (Zippich) was not only a cheery face, but a popular figure in local society at the time. The brewery had the stationmaster painted and registered the picture as a trademark in 1906. It is said that Zippich was to receive lifelong royalties of 30 beers a day for this. Visitors to Velké Březno can pay a visit to the brewery or the Empire-style chateau, or even see the museum of folk architecture and rail museum in nearby Zubrnice.
Velké Březno breweryDespite the fact that the brewery celebrated the 250th anniversary of its founding in 2003 (1753 – 2003), the existence of the brewery has been shown by recent findings to be at least 150 years older. Evidence for this comes in the form of a contract of purchase from 1606, according to which Antonín of Salhausen sold “the Velké Březno stronghold with hop field and brewery” for 30 500 three-score of Meissen groschen.
The Březňák beer which is brewed here has been popular among beer experts in Bohemia and abroad for centuries. The brewery currently has four types of beer on offer: bottled lager, draft lager, draft dark beer, and special lager.
The Březňák brewery offers visitors the following:
- Tour of the brewery and beer tasting;
- Tours in Czech, English, and German;
- Written version of the brewery tour in 10 languages;
- Sales of gift beer, brand-name glass, and souvenirs;
- Company training sessions and social events;
- Parking area for buses.
- The traditional method of malting barley;
- A demonstration of the classic technology of brewing Czech beer;
- The main fermentation in open vats in the fermenting room;
- Maturation in brewery cellars;
- Modern technological lines for tapping into bottles;
- A display of historic brewery items.
For more information on the Velké Březno brewery click here.
Velké Březno ChateauThe new chateau in Velké Březno, which stands on the more attractive right bank of the River Elbe between Ústí nad Labem and Děčín, was built in 1842-1845 by Count Karel Chotek, the highest margrave of the Kingdom of Bohemia. The original Empire-style chateau was transformed into a neo-Renaissance structure in 1885-1910. The result of this reconstruction is a genuinely attractive country residence with a pleasant atmosphere, which is further enhanced by the beautiful surroundings of the Bohemian Uplands, into which the chateau is so sensitively set. The current appearance of the chateau interiors recall the life of the Chotek family, members of the old Bohemian nobility. One of the members of this line, Sophie, was the wife of Franz Ferdinand d'Este and was murdered alongside him in Sarajevo in 1914. Perhaps the most enticing parts of the interior for visitors are the main hall on the first floor, with its cambered ceiling, fireplace, and stucco decoration, and the dining hall on the ground floor of the main building, with its neo-Renaissance, richly carved wooden panelling. The display is completed by the library and portrait gallery of the Chotek family. The finishing touches to the outside of the chateau are added by a highly-valued, naturally-landscaped park with numerous types of interesting wood species. The following exhibitions are on view at the chateau: “Attractions of the Chateau Depositaries” and drawings and watercolours from the travels of the three sons of Count Chotek around Italy in the 1st half of the 19th century.
You can find out more about the chateau in Velké Březno, including a summary of the cultural events staged here (veteran car race, projections on the chateau cinematograph, wine markets, weddings, etc.) by clicking here
The building is in the care of the National Monument Institute in Ústí nad Labem.
The Zubrnice Rail MuseumThe “Small Rail Museum” was opened on the premises of the train station in Zubrnice in 1996. The central point of the exhibition is now concentrated in the former wood storage area and a replica of a wooden garage for track cars beside the train station building. The museum came into being as something of a replacement for the regular operation of historic trains during season. The Zubrnice Museum Railway is located at a typical rural train station from the end of the 19th century. It is made up of a number of thematic exhibitions – the history of the local V. Březno - Verneřice – Úštěk line (current restoration of the track), a collection of track cars, a display of platform, lighting, and safety equipment, and various rail vehicles. It is possible to book a ride along the tracks in a motor track car. A ride on a velocipedic or lever operated track car is included in the price of admission. It is also possible to see the depository or visit repaired places on the track subject to agreement. There are old photographs to see, documents, different “railway” trinkets, and a model railway - a 1:45 model of Levín station. You can also have a look round a small transport office with period furnishings, which is situated in the station building. One major attraction is a replica of the bell signalling device known as the “Chinaman”.
You can find out more about the Zubrnice Rail Museum, including a summary of events here (roving the local railway, a meeting of historic track cars and rail curiosities, etc.) by clicking here.
Open-air Museum ZubrniceThe Zubrnice Museum of Folk Architecture is found not far from the Zubrnice Rail Museum. This museum is an attempt to preserve buildings and equipment which demonstrate the village way of life and living in the Bohemian Uplands. It is the youngest open-air museum in Bohemia and continues to expand. The foundation is a historic village amidst the hills of the Bohemian Uplands. Visitors can take a look round a complex of timber-framed farm houses with interior and exterior exhibits, including a unique warm-air fruit drier. The display also includes a small shop and a village school. A transported wooden Baroque well stands in the centre of the village. The complex is also home to the Baroque Church of Mary Magdalene. Meanwhile, a nature trail with information boards runs alongside the Luční Brook in the surrounding area. Those who venture down the trail will see a historic watermill in Týniště, a small Baroque bridge, a cemetery, and a timber chapel.
You can find out more about the Zubrnice Open-air Museum, including a summary of events here (putting up a maypole, autumn in the village, Zubrnice Fair) by clicking here.
Valley of Mr. Zippich – a leaflet with basic information about individual buildings: available from the Information Centre.
Name: IBS Hotel VLADIMIR****
Address: Masarykova 36, 400 01 Ústí nad Labem
Phone: +420 475 235 121, +420 724 116 655
Name: Interhotel BOHEMIA***
Address: Mírové náměstí 6, 400 01 Ústí nad Labem
Phone: +420 475 211 111
Name: Hotel VĚTRUŠE****
Address: Fibichova 392/25, 400 01 Ústí nad Labem
Phone: +420 474 620 330
Name: Guesthouse DUEL
Address: Moskevská 1507/30, 400 01 Ústí nad Labem
Phone: +420 475 210 640
Name: Hotel CAMELOT Tisá**
Address: Tisá 355, 403 36 Tisá
Phone: +420 475 222 358
Name: Hotel OSTROV****
Address: Ostrov u Tisé 12, 403 36 Tisá
Phone: +420 475 222 428
Name: Restaurant VĚTRUŠE
Address: Fibichova 392/25, 400 01 Ústí nad Labem
Phone: +420 474 620 330
Name: Restaurant LABSKÁ BAŠTA
Address: Střekovské nábřeží 981, 400 03 Ústí nad Labem
Phone: +420 475 530 250
Name: Restaurant HOTEL PENZION SRDÍČKO
Address: K Srdíčku 28, 403 21 Ústí nad Labem
Phone: +420 475 541 384, +420 777 105 050
Name: Restaurant U SVATÉ BARBORY
Address: Dubice 39, 400 02 Dubice
Phone: +420 721 177 404
Name: Restaurant TURISTICKÁ CHATA
Address: Tisá 257, 403 36 Tisá
Phone: +420 475 222 275